We are in the middle of summer and the most important job for August is to enjoy your garden space! Here are a few chores that can be done to keep everything looking its best for this month:
Trees & Shrubs:
- Mulch the soil around the trees and shrubs to aid in water retention
- Summer blooming shrubs should be pruned for shape AFTER they have finished flowering.
- Apply fertilizer until mid-August
- Keep inspecting for pests
- Cut back now to encourage reblooming
- Prune some of your favorite flowers to dry for future arrangements
- Trim off old dead flowers
- Stake tall autumn flowering varieties
- Prune hybrid roses in late August to promote the most fall blossoms- remove about 1/3 of vigorous growth.
- Raise the cutting height of your mower- taller grass cools the roots and helps keep moisture in the soil longer.
- Keep weeds pulled before they flower and seed
- Over seed to give an old lawn new life
- Continue to fertilize flowering pond plants monthly with pond tabs for lush growth and additional blossoms this summer.